Sunday, November 2, 2008

They sat them down to weep



Well, I lost the password to my old blog, so I started a new one, maybe I can keep the posts going often enough that I won't forget all of the log on info.




Great message today at church, one of the elders at our church used a quote from John Milton, Paradise Lost




{Covered, but not at rest or ease of mind,


They sat them down to weep; nor only tears


Rained at their eyes, but high winds worse within


Began to rise, high passions, anger, hate,


Mistrust, suspicion, discord; and shook sore


Their inward state of mind, calm region once


And full of peace, now tost and turbulent:


For Understanding ruled not, and the Will


Heard not her lore; both in subjection now}




If you didn't know, Milton is writing of Adam and Eve and how things changed when sin entered the world.


The passage that was quoted really spoke to me.


When I think about different times in my life when my eyes were opened to a different view point of whatever was going on,


when you see that the person you've looked up to is human also and so subject to the character flaws and pitfalls that we are all subject to.




It helps me to know that Robin and I are doing the right thing when it comes to homeschooling and trying to preserve our children's innocence as long as possible, because once it's gone, what comes in its place is what Milton describes above.




No comments: